Monday, November 9, 2009

Magnet Board

This is a magnet board I made for my daughter. There are several ways you can do this depending on what tools you have.

Supplies:
  • 11"x14" frame - anything you like will work. You won't need the glass. I know Hobby Lobby has some really nice frames with no glass. If you go that route, you'll need some sort of backing. You can buy a regular frame and just not use the glass if you want.
  • Galvanized flashing (I know Lowe's carries this, and I assume Home Depot does. Make sure it's galvanized, since that's what makes magnets stick to it). This pack of 10 sheets of 5"x7" was only a dollar or two. You'll only need 4 sheets.
  • Paper - any pattern you'd like. I used two different 12"x12" sheets.
  • Mod Podge and sponge brush to apply
  • Hot Glue Gun (optional, but it's quicker to stick your metal down than waiting for Mod Podge to dry)
  • Ribbon (optional, if you want to cover paper seams)
  • Glass beads
  • Magnets (I use the small round silver 10 strength mangets from Hobby Lobby. They're only a few dollars for a pack of 10, and they're super strong so they'll hold through several layers of stuff. Also, they're rarely on sale, so you can use a 40% off coupon. Let me know if you need me to forward one to you!)
First, lay out 4 sheets of the metal on the backing of your frame. This is what it would look like under the paper (except with 2 more sheets right above these two). There will be a little bit on the edge that it doesn't reach to, but that was ok with me. A typical frame will cover most of that anyways. Hot glue the sheets to the backing.


When dry, mod podge over the sheet metal and attach paper. Allow to dry completely. If it's not completely dry, the paper will wrinkle.

Once dry, Mod podge over the paper to protect it from damage. Attach ribbon to cover any seams in the paper. You can add embellishments if you want, too. I plan to add my daughters name to it, eventually.


Put the board into your frame, and you're done with that part.

For the magnets, I actually used various dots from the scraps of paper so the colors all matched. Just glue your bead to a scrap of paper (you can use the Mod Podge again) and let it dry. Cut around the bead once completely dry.


Hot glue a magnet to the back of the paper.


That's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Rock!